Takes 2 to 2 1/2 hrs
One to get on with while your turkey is busy roasting in the oven. A no nonsense recipe for a delicious turkey gravy.
Best made with a glass of your favourite tipple in hand.
- While your turkey is roasting, gently simmer the neck, heart and gizzard in 1.5 litre water or water and white wine, with some chopped carrot, onion and parsley, a bay leaf and 5 or so peppercorns.
- Allow to simmer for 1.5 hours before straining out and discarding the solids.
- Reduce the liquid by half.
- Use the reduced liquid to deglaze the roasting tray once the turkey is cooked. Simmer for 5 minutes, scraping the bottom of the tray as you go.
- For a thicker gravy, pour back into a saucepan. Separately, combine 1 heaped teaspoon of cornflour with just enough water to loosen it, pour into the simmering gravy and mix well until thickened.
- Season to taste and add a dollip of Dijon mustard if you like.
Giblets (neck, heart & gizzard)
White wine (optional)
Dijon mustard (optional)