Takes 8 hours (2 hours if you are using pre-cooked turkey)
Delightful little parcels of spiced turkey with pops of sweet pomegranate and savoury sage work as wonderfully festive canapes. Whether you want to kick off Christmas in style or use your left over turkey meat to it's full potential, these bite-sized bundles will certainly get you into the festive spirit.
(Head straight to step 5 if using pre-cooked turkey).
1. Set your slow cooker on to high.
2. Set a wide frying pan on a medium heat with 1 tbsp olive oil, place in the turkey legs and brown on all sides, once the skins have a good colour, place into the slow cooker.
3. Add the sliced onions into the same frying pan and cook in the turkey fat until softened, add in the garlic and chilli flakes and continue to cook until fragrant. Tip into the slow cooker along with the turkey legs.
4. Pour in the stock, add in the cloves, star anise and chilli flakes, season with a pinch of salt and give everything a good stir to combine. Place a lid on and slow cook for 4 hours or until the turkey is falling off the bone.
5. Preheat your oven to 180C fan.
6. Remove the cooked turkey legs from the slow cooker, pulling the meat off the bones. (You can strain the stock from the slow cooker and keep for another recipe). In a large bowl, shred the meat and add in the salt and pepper, all spice, parsley, sage, orange zest, pomegranate seeds, soy sauce and sesame oil. Give everything a good mix and allow to cool for an hour before assembling the filo purses.
7. Lay a sheet of filo horizontally on a clean smooth surface, brush with a little melted butter and place another sheet on top. Slice downwards into three equal rectangles, then cut each rectangle in half to create 6 large squares.
8. Spoon a small amount of the turkey mixture into the middle and pull the opposite corners of the pastry up into the middle to create a small purse-shaped parcel. Pinch tightly together and gently tie with a piece of chive. Place on a greaseproof paper-lined baking tray and repeat until you have used up all the filo sheets.
9. Finish with a final brush of butter on the tips of each parcel and a scattering of sesame seeds. Place in the oven for 12-14 minutes until they are lovely and golden.
10. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving, they pair wonderfully with our chilli jam as a dipping sauce on the side. Enjoy!
• 2 turkey legs
• Olive oil, for frying
• 4 cloves
• 2 star anise
• Salt to taste
• 1 large white onion, finely sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 300ml chicken or veg stock
• Filo Pastry (we used Jus-Rol)
• 80g pomegranate seeds
• Small handful of sage leaves, finely chopped
• Handful parsley, finely chopped
• 1 tsp ground allspice
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp white pepper
• Zest of 1 orange
• 1 tbsp light soy sauce
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 50g melted butter
• Chives, for tying
• Black sesame seeds, for garnish
• Ginger Pig Chilli Jam, for dipping (optional)