Depending on size of turkey...
220˚C for 40 minutes
Reduce heat to 170˚C and cook for a further 3-5hrs
Rest for 30 mins
- Take your turkey out of the fridge 1-2 hours before it goes in the oven. This is important to ensure even cooking.
- Rub the skin with plenty of butter and pepper and cover the breast with lots of streaky bacon.
- Make a big tin foil cross inside your roasting pan, place the turkey in the middle and wrap the foil around to make a loose but closed parcel.
- Cook at 220˚C for 40 minutes. Reduce heat to 170˚C and cook for approximately a further 2 hours (mini turkey), 3 hours (small), 3 1/2 hours (medium), 4 1/2 hours (large) and 5 hours (x-large).
- Uncover for the last 30 minutes to crisp the bacon, or if you prefer remove the bacon to crisp the skin.
- Stick a long skewer in the fleshiest part to test for doneness; the juices should run clear.
- Rest the cooked bird for a good 30-40 minutes while you finish preparing your side dishes (and have some more wine).Use your giblet stock (and another glass of wine) to make a proper tasty gravy. Click here for the recipe.
Turkey (choose your size)
- Mini 4-5kg, feeds 4-6
- Small 5-6kg, feeds 6-10
- Medium 6-7kg, feeds 10-14
- Large 7-8kg, feeds 14-18
- X-Large 8+kg, feeds 18+