Takes 3 hours
A recipe inspired by our meeting with Isaac Joseph. Isaac is hugely passionate about good quality ingredients, simply cooked. He chatted to us about one of his much loved recipes, chicken soup. Ensuring nothing is wasted, the carcass, legs and wings are gently simmered with celery, carrots and onion to create a wonderful, fragrant broth. Strained to remove any impurities, with the shredded chicken meat placed back in to heat through and finished with a scattering of parsley for freshness. This is a dish that exudes comfort and nostalgia but most importantly, its food that soothes the soul. Thank you to Isaac for inspiring us to create this simply delicious recipe.
1. Place the chicken carcass, legs, thighs and wings in a large pot along with the onion, garlic, ginger, celery and carrots. Add in the salt and chicken stock then top up with water until everything is almost submerged with just a little of the breast bone peeking out. (You can keep the chicken breasts for another recipe later on in the week or freeze for another time).
2. Place a lid on and bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer and leave to cook for 2 hours.
3. Strain the stock through a large sieve or colander into another large pot or saucepan, with a spoon squish everything down into the sieve to ensure all that chicken goodness goes back into the broth. Shred the meat off the legs and thighs and set aside. Discard the over boiled veg.
4. Place the strained broth on a medium heat and add in the fresh chopped celery and carrot. Allow the broth to gently cook the veg through so they soften but still have a bite (approx. 15 minutes). If using, add in the vermicelli at this stage and cook for 6 minutes until al dente.
5. Stir through the shredded chicken and heat through for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and ladle into bowls. Finish with a scattering of parsley for freshness, enjoy!
For the broth
• 2 kg chicken, breasts, thighs and wings removed from the carcass (ask your butcher to do this for you) • 2 sticks of celery, cut into 3cm chunks
• 3 carrots, cut into 3cm chunks
• 2 large white onions, quartered
• 1 bulb of garlic, halved width-ways
• Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and slice into thin disks
• 2 tsp salt
• 500ml chicken stock
To finish the soup
• Leg and thigh meat shredded off the bone
• 2 carrots, cut into 1cm chunks
• 2 sticks of celery, cut into 1cm chunks
• 200g vermicelli pasta (optional)
• Handful of parsley, finely chopped
• Salt and pepper to taste