There's enough pressure at Christmas, especially in the kitchen. We've had a lot of requests for porchetta cooking instructions this year. Don't try to remember them off by heart. Keep this page open on your phone/computer/tablet while you're getting ready for one of the biggest meals of the year.
SO, here's how we do it...
Our take on an Italian porchetta; made with high welfare pork, rolled with a stuffing of fresh herbs, fennel and garlic. Pigs like humans are very independent creatures, your porchetta may therefore look a little different than the ones in the picture.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Dry the skin of the pork using kitchen paper, and score the skin, then sprinkle with a little salt for superb crackling.
- Place the pork on a rack over a roasting tray and roast for 30 minutes until the fat starts to run.
- Turn the oven down to 150°C and roast for a further 3 hours.
- Test for "done-ness" with a long skewer (the juices should run clear), then rest the meat for 15-30 minutes before carving.