Takes 2 hours 30 minutes
(If you are using leftover chicken, this will drastically cut down the cooking time)
A fantastic recipe to use up leftover roast chicken but easily cooked from scratch as well. Things don't get much more satisfying than slurping noodles from a bowl of warm, aromatic broth. Nutritious as it is tasty, this is food that truly soothes the soul.
1. Place the chicken in a large pressure cooker, add in the ginger, garlic, halved green chilli, 1 stick of lemongrass, salt and water. Clamp the lid on and poach for 1 hour 30 mins (this is for a 2kg chicken, if yours is smaller, reduce cooking time by 10 minutes and increase by the same if larger).
2. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to drain and cool. Keep the cooking liquor as this will become your broth for the noodle soup. Drain the liquid through a sieve or strainer to get a really smooth broth and set in a pot on a low heat.
3. Add in the soy sauces, rice wine vinegar, 1 sliced red chilli, ginger paste, garlic powder, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar.
4. Bruise the second stick of lemongrass and add into the broth, stir well to combine. Alter any seasonings to your taste at this stage then bring the broth to a gentle simmer.
5. To make the pickled veg, combine the salt, sugar and water in a bowl and stir until dissolved, place in the red onions and carrots, scrunching them up in your hand so they really start to emaciate, set aside whilst you get on with the rest.
6. Shred the cooled chicken and place into the fragrant broth, add in the noodles and allow to cook through for 10 minutes.
7. Now you’re ready to serve, using tongs, add the cooked noodles and a generous amount of chicken in the bottom of a deep bowl, then ladle over the fragrant broth.
8. Slice up the final red chilli finely and scatter over the top, along with the spring onions and the halved boiled eggs. Drain the pickling juice from the carrots and red onions and place a handful in the bowl, finish with a garnish of coriander and a sprinkling of sesame seeds (optional). Enjoy!
• 2kg whole chicken
• 2 sticks of lemongrass
• Knob of ginger, roughly cut into thin slices
• 1 green chilli, halved
• 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
• 3 cloves of garlic, skins on, crushed
• 800ml water
• 2 tsp salt
• 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
• 1 tsp light soy sauce
• 1tbsp rice wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp fish sauce
• 1 tsp ginger paste
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 lime, juiced
• 2 tsp brown sugar
• 450g noodles (we used the ready to wok cooked noodles)
• 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
• 4 soft boiled eggs, peeled and halved
• Handful of coriander, roughly chopped for garnish
• Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
For the quick red onion and carrot pickle:
• ½ red onion, very thinly sliced
• ½ carrot, peeled into thin ribbons
• 2 tsp brown sugar
• 2tsp salt
• 2 tbsp water