Takes: 2 and a half hours
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Use a little butter to lightly grease the roasting tin. Put the bird in the tin, then smear all over with the remaining butter.
2. Pour the juice of one lemon all over the bird, pacing the squeezed halves alongside it in the tray and the second whole lemon within the cavity, along with the halved onion and the halved head of garlic
3. Sprinkle the bird with sea salt and pepper, and add the white wine and thyme to the roasting tray.
4. Place in the oven on a lower shelf for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 160°C and cook for a further 2 hours.
5. When cooked, the meat shoulder fall away easily from the thigh bone and the skin should be golden and crispy.
6. Use the great tasting meat juices, cornflour and a splash of white wine to make delicious gravy.
7. Serving suggestion: with perfect roast rosemary potatoes and spring greens of your choice.
1 Ginger Pig 100-Day Chicken (cooking times in this recipe are for a 2.5-3kg bird)
Sea salt and black pepper
1 head of garlic
1 red onion
2 sprigs of thyme
200ml (7fl oz) white wine